This major intersection before the "flyover" ramps of today. Note the large building in the photo, That was Alexanders Department Store. You may remember the mural on the building (extreme left of photo)
About Bill LeaverBill Leaver has been associated with the Behnke Museum since it opened in 2003. He was named as Director/Curator in 2013.
This envelope commemorated the first Paramus Library in 1954 that was located on Spring Valley Road.
This barn stands today on property at the corner of Farview Avenue and Colorado Avenue. It was used by Fritz Behnke to farm the land west of the barn running down toward Route 17. The farm produced a variety of vegetables that were brought to New York City markets in his horse and buggy via [...]
This structure remains today on Spring Valley Road just north of the Spring Valley Road Fire House. The bell tower has been removed however the exterior is much the same as the photograph. It is currently a private residence.
The barn today still sits on the property on the corner of Farview Avenue and Colorado Avenue. This is the original barn that was used when Fritz Behnke farmed many acres of land going west toward Route 17. Most of the artifacts at the Paramus Fritz Behnke Historical Museum came from the barn. For many [...]
Many people recognize this building on Midland Avenue as the branch library. Actually this building, built in 1924, was one of the two one-room schoolhouses. Later it became the borough hall and also was used as police headquarters and court. It is the oldest continually used municipal facility in Paramus
This is the first Paramus Post Office. It was located on Century Road near Route 17. It was dedicated in June 1950 when you could mail a letter with a 3 cent stamp.
The Howard Johnson's was on Route 17 for many years. The building was last occupied as a Hooter's restaurant before it closed and was demolished.
This fine restaurant was located off Route 17 just south of the current Barnes & Noble store. It closed in the 1950's.
Prior to electric hair clippers, this was the type of hair clipper used by barbers to trim hair for haircuts.