Shown are 2 of 97 matchbooks in our collection from many Paramus restaurants and other businesses. Matchbooks were used by cigarette and cigar smokers. They were given away at no cost to patrons as a means of advertisement. Eventually butane lighters replaced this form of advertising.
About Bill LeaverBill Leaver has been associated with the Behnke Museum since it opened in 2003. He was named as Director/Curator in 2013.
THE MUSEUM IS OPEN ON SUNDAY FROM 1:00 PM UNTIL 5:00 PM except holiday weekends BOOKS ABOUT PARAMUS Paramus, The Way We Were 1922 to 1960 by Fritz Behnke including 24 photographs $10.00 Images of America - Paramus by Thalia Goulis & Marc Jablonski 178 photographs with captions 22.00 Credit cards not [...]
This ad shows what $4990 would get you around the 1940's. A 6 room house with attached garage for payments of only $21.05 a month including taxes. They were built by Reis Homes.
This structure was formerly The Garden Inn on Route 17 north of Route 4. It became the borough hall in the 1950's until the present borough office was built on the same property. The two black vertical marks on the roof was where the supports for the large Garden Inn sign was located.
This hospital opened in 1916 for Polio, Diphtheria, and Scarlet Fever patients. In 1920 the Small Pox pavilion was completed. The Tuberculosis pavilion was opened in 1922. At that time these diseases were highly contagious. The hospital became known as Bergen Pines in 1923. The nine story general hospital building was built in 1952. The [...]
This major intersection before the "flyover" ramps of today. Note the large building in the photo, That was Alexanders Department Store. You may remember the mural on the building (extreme left of photo)
This envelope commemorated the first Paramus Library in 1954 that was located on Spring Valley Road.
This barn stands today on property at the corner of Farview Avenue and Colorado Avenue. It was used by Fritz Behnke to farm the land west of the barn running down toward Route 17. The farm produced a variety of vegetables that were brought to New York City markets in his horse and buggy via [...]
This structure remains today on Spring Valley Road just north of the Spring Valley Road Fire House. The bell tower has been removed however the exterior is much the same as the photograph. It is currently a private residence.
The barn today still sits on the property on the corner of Farview Avenue and Colorado Avenue. This is the original barn that was used when Fritz Behnke farmed many acres of land going west toward Route 17. Most of the artifacts at the Paramus Fritz Behnke Historical Museum came from the barn. For many [...]